Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Food down here

One of my favorite midday snacks around here is a little street food called "sopapillas"  They are basically a fried flaky corn-meal patty, often topped with some sort of spicy salsa.  They cost 100 pesos (20 cents) wherever, and they're great.  Here's a shot of one:


I don't know if it's the residual effect of living with an Italian for 2 years, but down here I've been using a lot more garlic when I cook.  Onions, too.  Before I scramble eggs, or heat up tomato sauce, I fry up some sliced onion and minced garlic in a pan.  It's definitely made my scrambled eggs much more enjoyable, and it helps to make the tomato sauce down here consumable (it's really bad).  Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous/lazy, I also include some frozen vegetables in the pan.  It usually turns out pretty well.



This isn't edible, but it was a piece of art I enjoyed at the library:

Slightly more edible, the baby birds have been born!  Here's a shot from a few days ago:
The mom is giving me her best "What's up?" look.

1 comment: