Monday, August 15, 2011

Moverse sus caderas

Today is a holiday down in Chile.  What holiday? I have no idea, but I don't have to go to work and there's a brass section promenading up and down my street like an overzealous college marching band.  Their band is   Or maybe that noise is just the hangover?  Tough to tell.

I've made a couple friends with some local chilean kids, and have since started drinking again.  Maybe that will help to keep the weight from falling off of me (157 lbs today).  We went over to this guy Felipe's apartment last night, and started by drinking pisco, which is a liquor distilled from grapes.  Around midnight some more people showed up and it turned into more or less of a dance party.  I think the front desk kept calling the apartment with noise complaints, which lead to us turning the music down for a solid 3 minutes or so before it returned to its prior volume.  Also, I'm now known as "weon Erik" (it's slang, kind of like dude).

One of my students (adult) told me to be very careful of Chilean women - as they will try to get their hands on you and then never let go.  Well... I now understand what he was talking about.  I've never had so many people try to help me learn something as I did last night with Chilean Spanish.  Also, I'm now intimately familiar with most curse words and derogatory expressions around here. 

Sadly, no pictures today, at least from me.  Although, apparently this is happening around here: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/08/student-protests-in-chile/100125/  I haven't seen any protests of this magnitude though.  The majority of my riot experience has been seeing middle-aged couples banging pots and pans together, and cars honking in support as they drive by.  Powerful stuff.  And by powerful, I mean mildly annoying.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a real comment, just wanted to let you know that you have an audience. Admittedly, that audience may just be me, Amy, & your mom, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete