Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Potpourri #7

One of the things I've gotten used to down here is eating bruised fruit.  It doesn't sound like that big a deal, but when you're used to avoiding any brown spots in apples, or soft patches on a kiwi, it takes a little getting used to.  Practically every piece of fruit you get down here has a blemish on it somewhere, or is still horribly unripe.  It makes me wonder how much genetic engineering is actually going on with the fruit we eat in the states, or if the people down here are just that much less careful when handling their fruit.

On the fruit tip, another odd thing down here is how peach juice is more common/popular than orange juice.  The company "Watt's" sells just about every bottle of juice down here, and I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 of everything bottle sold is Peach, or "Durazno".  Other popular flavors are Apricot, Pineapple, and then Orange.  I'd have to say that I like peach juice better than orange juice.  If only Georgia had outhustled Florida in the US fruit juice races.

I saw a "traveler" today with his big backpack and some assorted stuff trying to bum change for a bus ride earlier today.  I didn't give him anything, because he was already well equipped to walk wherever he was going.  This was at about 11:20 AM.  When I returned to Estacion Central at about 3:00 PM, he was still on the same corner, looking for change.  I guess the "weary traveler" is just his angle that he plays.  Whatever, I'm still not giving you any money.

Also, a very important decision has been made regarding my sports loyalty.  I've thought about it long and hard, and...vamos U de Chile!  Colo Colo es el equipe de flaites!

In real sports news - it's Michigan-Ohio State week.  Michigan opened the week favored by 8.5 points at home.  If Urban Meyer is really going to OSU next year (and I have no doubt he is, that guy's a snake), then this could be our best shot at beating them in a long time.  Please, please, PLEASE Michigan, take home a victory this weekend.  Break the streak.  Let me see my first OSU victory as a Michigan fan.

Ok, I'm off to substitute for a class.  It's a 5:15 class, which means it's likely all schoolkids who are fulfilling their English requirements outside of their bad school. If they end up being another unruly group of shitty little kids, I might quit.  If they're good, I might teach them some creative English curse words.

Mini Quiz:  In English, what is the difference between when you use the word "They", and the word "Them"?

No comments:

Post a Comment