Thursday, November 10, 2011

Trapped in the underground bathroom

Last Saturday after class, I stuck around for a while answering a few questions from students.  Most classes get out at 11:45, but there were still a few stragglers hanging around when I got out at 12:10 or so.  The teachers usually just take off right after class, so the basement teacher lounge clears out.  I went downstairs to check email and see if my next class was still on for that day (it wasn't).  After spending a couple minutes on the computer, I use the teacher's lounge Men's bathroom.  I walked inside, and closed the door behind me.

As soon as I started to turn around, the door bounces right back open.  I deliberately close it.  Still doesn't take - the moving part of the doorknob is stuck inside the box.  I contemplate just going with the door open, but as the lounge is inhabited by mostly women, I decided to be a gentleman and make sure the door closes.  I close the door, and as the door is fully closed, I reach down to set the lock on the door, using that to hold the door into place.  The lock snaps closed...

And the handle breaks in my hand.

I stared at it for a second, then set it down on the sink.  Before even thinking about it, I decided to relieve myself first.  I'm sure even MacGyver wasn't MacGyver on a full bladder.

 The bathroom window.  Escape was not an option.

(I came back a few days later for pics.  Note how the door is still uncloseable.)

The handle itself didn't look warped from broken metal - I figured it was just a lose pin or something inside the door.  I tried gently slipping it back into the socket, and twisting around to try and lock into something inside the door, allowing me to try and gently slip it back into the unlocked position.

I tried this for about 5 (felt like 50) minutes, to no avail.  Humility and decency having run out, I started banging on the door, hoping that somebody could get a facilities manager to help me out.  No luck, no acknowledgement of hearing me.

I noticed that usually when I would catch the door handle on something inside, the whole frame of the handle moved a tiny bit.  I started simultaneously jiggling the door handle and moving the frame itself with the other hand to try and align anything inside it.  After getting a feel for it, I felt out what felt like screw grooves or some sort of locking position.  I hold the handle frame in place with my arm, and then gently try to unlock the door.

And the frame slides out of place.  I have to fit the piece into place again, hold the frame down with all of my body weight, and gently feel out the lock until it slooowwwwwly starts to move. 

30 seconds later, the door was unlocked and out of position.

As I walked out the door upstairs, I noticed that everybody had gone, except for one old janitor and one secretary, cleaning up.

1 comment: